END Products

  • Excluded nutritional or digestive (END) products

    Manufacturer certified to the FIAAA Code of Practice 

    Registration not required if complying with Agvet Code

    A quick summary of requirements for END products*

      Feed voluntarily consumed by an animal.
      Generally recognised as safe.
      No ingredients such as hormones and antibiotics.
      Quality system, particularly the FIAAA Code of Practice.
     Claims to alleviate or prevent a disease or condition, are supported by data.
     All required wording included.

    What if you can’t meet the requirements?

     It is illegal to sell the product.
     Products must either be registered or meet all END requirements.

    How does FIAAA help members?

     Guidance on AgVet Code requirements.
     Certification to the FIAAA COP meets the Quality System requirements.

    If you manufacture or want to sell Feed Ingredients and Additives as END products, and are not already a member of FIAAA, contact us now.

    * Some detail follows. More information is available on the APVMA website

  • To be excluded from the requirement to register your nutritional or digestive animal feed product, it must be one that is fed to, and voluntarily consumed by an animal and must meet certain requirements for ingredients, claims, labelling and manufacture. To be excluded, products must pass four separate tests:

    1. ingredients: the product must not contain certain ingredients, such as antibiotics; and all ingredients must be on at least one of the specified list of substances that are generally recognised as safe (the ‘GRAS’ lists);
    2. manufacturing systems: the product must be made to one of a number of specified quality systems, primarily the FIAAA COP;
    3. labelling: the label must contain specified information about the product; and
    4. claims: any claim that the product alleviates or prevents a disease or condition must be backed up by high quality scientific evidence, accessible to the supplier.
  • The APVMA gives you the opportunity to self-assess the requirement for your product to be registered. You can see here that products conforming to the FIAAA code of practice do not require registration.

    You can see here that if you do not comply with the AgVet code you can not sell your product.


  • Export Certificates

    Manufacturer certified to the FIAAA Code of Practice

    A quick summary of situations requiring Export Certificates*

    Many Feed Ingredients and Additives are ‘non-prescribed goods’ (NPG) under Australian export legislation. 

    • There is no Australian requirement for Department of Agriculture and Water Resources (DAWR) certification of NPGs for export.
    • If the destination country requires Government certification DAWR can issue certificates.


    • Some countries also need the company to be listed with the Government.
    • Some countries also need the manufacturer to be audited.


    • FIAAA has an arrangement with DAWR (a Letter of Exchange).
    • Under the arrangement the FIAAA can assist Certified Members with Listing.
    How does FIAAA help members?
    1. Is Listing with the DAWR required?
    2. If so, make contact with FIAAA, complete an application form and return to FIAAA.
    3. The FIAAA will provide endorsement and forward to DAWR for entry.

    If you want to export NPGs that are Feed Ingredients and Additives, and you need listing with DAWR to obtain an Export Certificate, contact us now.

  • The Export Control Act 1982 defines prescribed goods. Any goods not defined as prescribed under the Act are deemed to be non-prescribed goods.

    Examples of prescribed goods are milk and dairy products, live animals, fish and fish products, plants and plant products, eggs and egg products, meat and meat products, grains, animal food (frozen raw meat), organic produce and fresh fruit and vegetables, pharmaceuticals (raw animal material).

    Non-prescribed goods are all other goods. Feed ingredients and additives fall into the category of non-prescribed goods.

  • Manufacturer certified to the FIAAA Code of Practice

    1.  Does your product require government certification?

    Australian export legislation allows DAWR to issue government certification for the export of non-prescribed goods (under Order 8.05 of the Export Control (Prescribed Goods – General) Order 2005).

    Only if an importing country needs a government issued certificate to accompany the export from Australia, can the department issue certification.

    1. What are the importing country requirements?

    As the exporter, you need to ask the importer in the destination country for the requirements. They would usually obtain official advice from the importing country authority, possibly in the form of an import permit. Other sources of information on importing country requirements include advice on official government websites, consulates and other published import regulations.

    Where specific declarations or endorsements need to be on the government issued certificate, you must provide support for the statements. Examples of evidence are manufacturer’s declarations, laboratory reports and treatment records.

    In some instances, importing countries require the manufacturer to be Listed with DAWR before they will allow import. Audits of the manufacturer may need to be conducted.

    The FIAAA has an auditing arrangement with DAWR, underpinned by a Letter of Exchange.

    If the importing country requires listing and auditing, contact the FIAAA. Listing is completed before moving to Step 3: Applying for export certification.

    If you don’t need listing go straight to Step 3.

    1. Applying for export certification

    A government certificate can be applied for by submitting an Application form to your local DAWR office.

    The application must be accompanied by the evidence of importing country requirements, along with the evidence that you can meet the requirements, as discussed above.  

    Information on fees is available on the DAWR website.

    1. Certificate as to condition

    EX188 – this type of NPG certificate is known as a ‘Certificate as to Condition’ and is issued for a specific consignment of product for export.

    Apply with the application form mentioned above. Make sure you include the evidence of the country requirements and how your products meet these requirements.

    1. Free sale letter

    A Free Sale Letter is issued to a manufacturer to support ‘registration’ in an importing country. It is the manufacturer’s responsibility to provide evidence that this type of certification is required, as well as providing evidence that they are indeed an Australian business with appropriate licenses to carry out commercial operations in Australia.

     In some instances this type of certification can be issued by the Australian Chamber of Commerce, where the importing country hasn’t specifically nominated the department as the authority required to issue the document. This type of certification only needs to be issued once, or possibly annually, depending on the importing country requirements.

    1. Exporting fully imported goods

    If the goods you are exporting are fully imported DAWR will issue an M418 certificate ‘Declaration of Imported Goods’.

    • You need to include product detail in Section C of the form.
    • You do not need to include details of the overseas manufacturer
    Here’s a Tip.
    • Write the type of certification you need at Question 7 on the application form. E.g. EX188M, Health Certificate, M418, Free Sale letter etc.
    • Make sure you give us much information as possible on the importer requirements and on your products, to minimise delays in issue of the certificate.